Thursday, November 20, 2008

THERE'S A COMMON THREAD

Hi Tom Sachs back with you and I know how this is going to sound, I do not sugar coat the truth, since I offer the best political and social commentary on the web I'm about to put my foot down on this particular subject.
They almost had to peel me off the ceiling last week when I read that the mayor of Philadelphia wants his cut of the bailout money, I was livid when I screamed out "HOW DARE YOU".
When my blood pressure finally came back down to 240/160 and I was able to think a little more clearly, I knew that the time had come to write this column, like it or not this is the ugly truth.
Lets take a look at the facts, I'm going to list some cities and you need to find the common thread, Detroit, Baltimore, D.C, Atlanta and Philadelphia. High crime, corruption, unemployment, illegitimate birth rates, gangs and a crumbling infrastructure, yeah I would say that's accurate, how about one more thing, they are all being run by black administrations, you heard me right, these people did not get into office riding on their credentials, they got in on the basis of lets thumb our nose at the establishment and prove that we can control our political future no matter how bleak it may be.
In D.C. the honorable Marion Barry gets caught on video tape smoking crack with a prostitute and gets re-elected, in Atlanta former mayor Bill Campbell is still in jail on corruption convictions while Maynard Jackson, also of Atlanta, died before they could put him behind bars for a number of shady deals, in Detroit, their former mayor Kwame Kilpatrick was convicted of lying under oath and a couple of weeks ago he got caught dining and dashing at a Detroit restaurant.
The point that I am trying to make here is that I think it is more than just coincidence that these cities have that common thread, is that racist, I don't think so, first of all its a fact, secondly I have not invoked the true definition of racism by saying this.
Sure there are plenty of white and Hispanic politicians that have been caught and convicted of crimes while either in or out of office, but the difference is that they don't get re-elected.
The political landscape is littered with people that should not be allowed out in public, I know that, but lets not punish the masses for the sins of the few.

No comments: